Monday, October 1, 2012

Chapter 2: Lowenman Discovers Something New

            It was close to five years ago now that Professor Julian Lowenman came into my office clutching a sheaf of papers close to his chest. This was, in itself, nothing new. He frequently did this. I immediately put aside whatever it was that I was doing, leaned back in my chair and prepared for the onslaught.
            I was not disappointed.
            “My God, man!” he shouted, throwing himself onto my chair (in the process crumpling a stack of papers, which bothered him not a whit). “How in the HELL… in the HELL, I say… have I never noticed this before?”
            He practically threw the sheaf at me, in the process knocking another stack of papers to the floor, along with my letter opener, lamp, and a particularly fine millefiori glass paperweight. Luckily the papers were haphazardly paperclipped together.
            “That is a very fine question,” I answered him. “Very little does escape your attention. Brandy?”
            Long acquaintance with Professor Lowenman had led me to the necessity of keeping a decanter of the stuff always at the ready. I poured a snifter for myself and offered him one as well. He didn’t notice.
            “Well, look at it!” he shrieked. “Look at it! My God, man, I could die at any time, with a mystery like this unsolved, and you’re wasting my precious time? What kind of scholar are you? Disgrace to the name, that’s what. Where in the HELL are my cigarettes?”
            “My dear Lowenman, how could I possibly know that?”
            “Know what? You aren’t reading.”
            Fortifying myself with a hefty gulp, I looked down at the first paper on the stack on my desk.


LP-ex. 1
The Tsaddik’s chief activities are helping people who come to ask for relief and advice and comforting them with his “toyreh,” his teachings. He does not interfere with the strictly ritual life of the shtetl, which remains under the jurisdiction and supervision of the official rabbi, the Rov. The Tsaddik seldom has the diploma which entitles the Rov to exercise his rabbinical function, and which is conferred by a collegium of rabbis after the studies in the yeshiva are concluded. Therefore he does not make decisions in matters of Law. In contrast to the official religious leaders of the shtetl, the Rebbeh [or Tsaddik] does not achieve his high position through learning. The lack of erudition of some Tzaddikim has supplied a popular subject of jokes and mockery among those who do not share their beliefs. “The Hassidic Rebbeh could be an ignoramus. He was never examined and besides his position was a hereditary one so they usually were ignoramuses. It was like a dynasty.”
The concept of grade or “level” is the basis of the Tsaddik’s position among his followers. He is the one who through his own mystical efforts, through his descent from and spiritual relationship to the great teacher Baal Shem or his disciples has attained the highest level a mortal can reach, the level of an intermediary between God and his sinful, unfortunate children—the People of Israel.[1]

            “Fascinating,” I said mildly, having perused the passage.
            “Not yet, it’s not,” Lowenman said sharply. “Do you know what that is?”
            “I gather,” I said slowly, “that it is a description of a Jewish rabbi.”
            Lowenman snorted.
            “Do you know something?” he said superciliously. “That’s been a pet peeve of mine for years. Years and years and years. Why do you Gentiles always say ‘Jewish rabbi’? It’s completely redundant. What other kind of rabbi could there be? A Jewish rabbi, as opposed to a Southern Baptist rabbi?”
            “I gather,” I said more slowly, “that this is a description of the functions of a certain kind of rabbi.”
            “You’re damn right,” he said. “The Hassidim. The ultra-Orthodox. The ones with the black hats and the beards. There are groups and groups and groups of them. Lubavitchers and Satmarers, Vizhnitzers, Skvirers, Bratzlavers and Sighetters, Belzers and Bobovers, popovers, turnovers. And each group of them has their own Rebbe. Not a rabbi, a rebbe. A sort of unofficial personage. The one with the direct link to God. God’s phone number, his fax number, his cell number, his email address, his beeper, pager, whatever. Not the teacher. The intermediary between and betwixt the Good Lord and the flock. Get it?”
            “I think so,” I said. “Very interesting.”
            “You think it’s interesting?” Lowenman went on. “Well, it’s not. Not yet. Do you know who wrote that?”
            “I assume some kind of academic,” I guessed. “An anthropologist or cultural historian with some familiarity with the sects of the Jewish people.”
            “Read on,” Lowenman directed me. “Next page.”
            After another fortifying gulp of brandy, I did so.

LP-ex.2
After a series of failed attempts, the goal [of killing Trotsky] seemed to be in sight. With the help of Lubyanka agent Mark Zborovsky, the operation to kill Trotsky’s son and closest ally, Lev Sedov, had been successfully concluded. Zborovsky was born in 1907 in Russia, to a poor Jewish family. He emigrated to Lodz and joined the Polish Communist party. Then his path took him to France, where he was recruited by the NKVD and given the code name Etienne. On instructions from Lubyanka, he became a fervent “Trotskyite” and a friend of Sedov, who trusted him totally. In 1941, at the height of the war, Zborovsky emigrated to the United States and gradually moved away from the Lubyanka’s bloody deeds, becoming a professor of anthropology. He was exposed only after Stalin’s death, when the danger of falling victim to Moscow’s long arm was significantly reduced. Confessing and repenting, he got a humane sentence from American courts in 1955.[2]

            “Well?” I asked.
            Lowenman stared aghast at me.
            “You don’t see the connection?”
            “I’m afraid I…”
            “Look at the footnotes, Baghatch,” he instructed me pedantically. “The footnotes. Always check the footnotes. Don’t you see who wrote the first one?”
            “I see Zborowski. But I notice that the name mentioned in Vaksberg’s book is Zborovsky.”
            “Russian and Polish variants on the same name. The same name. The same man,” Lowenman intoned hollowly, “the same man who wrote about the Rebbe is the man who killed Trotsky’s son!”
            “That is interesting,” I told him.
            “No,” he said, “it isn’t. It’s curious, but it isn’t interesting. It’s not what I wanted to share with you. In fact, it has nothing at all to do with what I wanted to discuss with you. It’s merely a curious little detail. Look at the next page. That’s what’s interesting.”

LP-ex. 3
…Before I proceed, I should try to explain what an elder in our monasteries is. I regret that I am not fully versed in these matters, but I will do my best to give a rough idea of that institution. First of all, according to our experts, the institution of elder came into existence came into existence in our Russian monasteries quite recently, less than a hundred years ago, although it has existed for well over a thousand years in the Orthodox East, particularly in the Sinai and on Mount Athos. As I understand it, in the olden times, there were probably elders in Russia, too, but as the country went through a series of calamities…the institution fell into disuse and the elders vanished from our monasteries…
Elders exercise an authority that is boundless beyond understanding. That is why the institution was at first opposed, even condemned, in Russian monasteries. The common people, however, showed tremendous respect for the elders right away. And soon the uneducated and the humble, the rich and the mighty, were flocking from all over Russia to see the elders of our monastery, to throw themselves at their feet, to confess their sins, to confide their doubts and torments, to seek guidance and advice. This caused the opponents of the elders to accuse them, among other things, of arbitrarily and irresponsibly degrading the sacrament of confession, although the continual baring of a novice’s or layman’s soul before his elder was quite different from the sacrament. The institution survived, however, and it is now gradually becoming more common in Russian monasteries.
…Many said of the elder that, in accepting all those who had come throughout the years to entrust their souls to him, to seek his guidance and solace, he had heard so many confessions, secrets and tales of human despair that he had finally acquired an insight so keen that he could guess, from the very first glance at a newcomer, what he would say, what he would ask him, and even what was really tormenting his conscience. Often the visitor was surprised, confounded, even frightened on finding that the elder knew his secret before he had even uttered a word. Alyosha also noticed that almost all who came to Zosima for the first time were filled with fear and apprehension as they entered the cell to face him alone, but that almost without exception they left smiling and serene; even the gloomiest faces emerged beaming with joy.[3]

            “Why, this is Dostoevsky!” I exclaimed. “From The Brothers Karamazov!”
            “Correct,” Lowenman nodded. “To be precise, it is the description of the Starosta. The Elder. The unofficial, unordained spiritual leader of the monastery. The ordinary people’s conduit to God Himself. Sound familiar?”
            “The description of the Elder’s position,” I hazarded a guess, “is more than a little reminiscent of that of the Rebbe.”
            “Precisely!” howled Lowenman, leaping to his feet in great excitement. “Yes, indeed. That’s what it is, all right.”
            “What do you make of that?” I asked. “An interesting coincidence…”
            “Coincidence?” scoffed Lowenman. “Not hardly. Not by half. Not by a long shot. What do you know of the Hassidim, my black-clad, mystical co-religionists?”
            “Very little,” I confessed. “My own studies were more…”
            “Your own studies,” he interrupted, “are an arrow, my dear Baghatch. A compass point. They have a direct bearing on exactly what it is that has so captured my fancy.”
            “I’m afraid I…”
            “More than three hundred years ago,” Lowenman began, “ah. There they are.”
            “There what are?”
            “My cigarettes. Inside breast pocket. Obvious place. Wouldn’t happen to have such a thing as a match about your reliable, steady person, would you?”
            “I’m afraid I…”
            “There they are. Inside the pack. Of course. Obvious place. I’m ashamed of myself. Should have guessed it sooner. But I didn’t, and I had meticulously checked all my other pockets. There were no matches there. Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, regardless of how improbable it may be, must be the truth. Having examined each of my pockets, I should have known they were in the pack itself. But then again, through the logic of everyday association, I should have guessed it immediately.
            “At any rate,” he continued blithely, failing entirely to light his cigarette, “there was born a man, in what was then Carpathian Ruthenia and is now somewhere in the Ukraine, a man named Israel Ben Eliezer. Uneducated. Untrained. A poor man’s son. He disappeared for several years, and when he came back, he began preaching to the everyday ignoramuses on the street a gospel of inward fulfillment. The ecstasy of prayer. God in all things, a spark of the divine in every man’s soul. Dangerously close to pantheism. Disavowed by the educated classes. Considered heretical by the rabbis. He took for his moniker the title Ba’al Shem Tov, that is to say, the Master of the Good Name, that is to say, the Name of God. Claimed to have plumbed the depths of the mystical mysteries of the Tetragrammatron, the four-letter name of God, never to be pronounced. Yod Hay Vov Hay. Gathered about him disciples who, after his passing, spread his gospel of love and joy throughout the length and breadth of decidedly un-merry Eastern Europe, that chronic cesspit of misery, poverty, oppression and ignorance. They, the disciples of Israel Ba’al Shem Tov, known ever after by the acronym of BeShT, became the first rebbes. And their followers called themselves the Hassidim, the Holy Ones, the Ones Set Apart.”
            “Heretical?” I asked.
            “Probably,” he said offhandedly, “but to the masses, what difference did it make? Through prayer and ecstasy and mystical revelation, they found themselves able to transcend their miserable mud-spattered world. Transcend. Leave. They claimed that they were able to ascend to Heaven itself.”
            “This is, in itself, nothing new,” I pointed out. “Ascension through ecstasy is something that one finds scattered throughout the mythology of Christianity.”
            “New to Jews, it was,” Lowenman retorted, “and that was the point, was it not? The question is not the theology of the Hassidim. The question is, where was the Besht? Where had he spent those missing years? No one knows. But I believe I have found it.”
            “Why is it important? The question of where he had spent his time? Saint Paul also spent time in the desert, so they say, and when he came back, he claimed to have reached one of the levels of Heaven. I believe it was the third level,” I posited.*
            “Why is it important?” Lowenman asked, puffing vigorously on his unlit cigarette. “It wasn’t. The question itself is completely irrelevant, until one knows the answer.”
            “And what is the answer?”
            “He must have been among Christians,” he said in a low voice. “He must have been consorting with the enemy, as it were. He must have seen what they did, heard what they believed. And specifically, Eastern Orthodox Christians. And yet more specifically, Russian Orthodox Christians, among whom the tradition of the Elder was well-established, even then. It’s a long-standing feature of Eastern Orthodoxy.”
            “Is it?”
            “Ivan Aksakov,” Lowenman continued, stubbing out his still-unlit cigarette in my brandy snifter, “the well-known Slavophile philosopher, once said that all of western Christianity is tainted with scholasticism.”
            “The intellectual pursuits of the medieval Catholic monks?”
            “Exactly,” he said, tapping his finger significantly on the edge of my desk. “The ones who asked questions like, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, and then actually attempted to answer it. They who froze Western man’s conception of the spiritual world into a strict hierarchy.”
            “You think they…”
            “Of course they did!” he interrupted impatiently. “They worked out an entire legal system for the Divine! So many Hail Marys gets you out of perdition, and a few more gets you into such and such level of Heaven, and a donation of so much assures your place in such and such a plane of the Afterlife! And the Protestants were no better. Calvinism, for example, is rigidly internally coherent and consistent. A hierarchy. A system. A coda of law and order imposed on the Universe. But the Eastern Christians never had that. They retain a sense of awe and mystery. They readily accept that there are some things that cannot ever be known. Neo-Platonism, perhaps. They would accept an Elder. They would admit to the possibility of Divine Revelation. In the west, anyone who had a divine revelation was burned at the stake. Or at the very least, treated with extreme caution.
            “Saints in the West,” he concluded thoughtfully, “must undergo a rigorous bout of tests and countertests before they are admitted to be worthy of Beatification. There is no such system in Eastern Orthodoxy. Just an example.”
            “And you think this… this idea, this doctrine, may have slipped into Judaism?” I ventured.
            “There can be no doubt,” he answered confidently. “The Besht introduced the concept of the Orthodox Elder to the Jews of Eastern Europe. Makes sense, doesn’t it? Dostoevsky is describing a rebbe. Zborovsky is describing an Elder. The two are practically interchangeable. Not to mention that the institution of the Rebbe occurs only among the Jews of Eastern Europe, in the hotbed of Eastern Orthodox Christianity. Geography and similarity are on my side. They will prove out my theory.”
            “And this leads you to…”
            “This leads me,” he said, “to a radical rethinking of the Jewish religion. I always conceived of it as a bubble, a parallel stream running concurrently to that of Christianity, and never the twain shall meet. An isolation. But it isn’t true. A Christian concept worked its way into the most rigid of the rigid, the most orthodox of the Orthodox Jews. They have been profoundly influenced by Eastern Orthodox Christianity. And all the mysteries of the east crept in with it. The result was… a syncretism. A merging. A hybrid, bastard creature.”
            “And what do you intend to do with your theory?” I asked, exasperated. Professor Lowenman was a fascinating, but often frustrating, conversationalist.
            “I intend to follow it,” he said matter-of-factly. “To study it. To research it. Nothing could be more esoteric, could it? And that’s where you come into the picture.”
            “Me?” I repeated. “But I know so little of…”
            “Renaissance thought,” he said flatly. “Bits and pieces of it must have crept into Judaism. Here and there. Especially in Central Europe. Especially in Late Early Modern times. There must be something there. I need to borrow your books on the subject and compare them with my own texts.”
            “My books?” I said, and gestured to the walls of shelves behind me. “You are, of course, my dear Lowenman, welcome to any that I have, but my library is so extensive that…”
            “Never mind,” he said, and leapt over my desk. “I’ll take the fattest ones.”
            “Regardless of subject matter?”
            “Completely regardless,” he said, grabbing the thickest volumes off my shelves and stacking them, one on top of the other, on the picture of my wife and children which sat on my desk. “Ooooohhh, there’s a thick one.”
            “Why the fattest ones?”
            He turned his attention from my books long enough to shoot me a withering glare.
            “Because, Baghatch,” he explained in a mock-patient tone, “they are the ones which will contain the most information.”
            And with that, he scooped up the stack of books in his gangling arms and swept out of my office.

*          *          *
           
            It was only recently that I recovered them, after his disappearance and subsequent likely death. I found them under a pile of mouldering volumes written in Ancient Abkhazian in his office as I was going through his papers and attempting to make some sense of them. Apparently, he had never used them. He had tossed them aside probably the moment after he lugged them into his office. But I cannot fault him overmuch. In the five or so years between the time he borrowed them and the time when I found them, those five years in his office (they may as well have been on the dark side of the moon, for all the chances I had of regaining them during his lifetime), I hadn’t missed them a bit.  In fact, I had forgotten that he had borrowed them.



[1] Life is With People: The Culture of the Shtetl, by Mark Zborowski and Elizabeth Herzog. New York: Schocken Books, 1962
[2] Stalin Against the Jews, Arkady Vaksberg, trans. Antonina W. Bouis. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. 1994.
[3] Dostoevsky, Fyodor, The Brothers Karamazov, trans. Andrew R. MacAndrew. New York: bantam Classics. 1970.
* Looking back on it now, perhaps I myself, on the basis of this rather flippant and offhand remark, may have been responsible for whatever it was that happened to Lowenman, in that I raised the specter of ascent, mystical ascent, Saint Paul's mystical ascent. In retrospect, this silly observation of mine may have planted, in his mind, the seeds of his own later destruction. This may perhaps seem cryptic, but I trust that it shall become clearer in the following pages. (Ed.; Baghatch)

2 comments:

  1. Only you could rope me into reading this you know...bring on Chapter 3...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good heavens, man, don't waste your time on this drivel!

    ReplyDelete